IMD is a proprietary formula consisting of highly purified silica base with covalently attached metal-binding groups. The product is insoluble and functions to bind heavy metals in the gut so that they can be safely eliminated with the bowels; this prevents both re-absorption of the heavy metals and free-radical generation catalyzed by them. In fact, the product can also directly neutralize free-radicals in the gut and thus may play a role in damping gastrointestinal inflammation. Both the silica base and the binding agent are GRAS (generally recognized as safe) for use in food, but since the binding agent is firmly attached to the insoluble silica it is not absorbed and thus not bioavailable. IMD does not enter the bloodstream, therefore it will not cause high spikes of blood mercury levels, which often cause kidney and liver stress during other types of chelation. IMD optimizes transporters that move glutathione and conjugated toxins into the intestinal tract for elimination, thus regulating Phase I detox pathways.
- Bind mercury and other heavy metals in the intestines and escorts these harmful contaminants out of the body via the stool.
- Intercepts methylmercury trapped in enterohepatic circulation.
Binding and removing intestinal heavy metals:
- Leads to lowering of blood mercury levels, allowing organ and tissue bound mercury safely to drain into the blood at a natural rate.
- Improves the body's natural detoxification ability by quenching free radicals and stopping metal-catalyzed free-radical reactions, which can otherwise lead to inflammation and cause down-regulation of detox transporters (Phase III transporters: OATs, cMOAT, MRPs, etc)
- Fortifies the link between the intestines and the immune system.
Cleanse Support: The bodily detoxification systems need to be supported during the cleanse. The most important systems to support are: Liver, Bowel, Vasculature, Lymph, and Kidneys. Both allopathic and homeopathic support work well with IMD.